Tuesday, March 12, 2013

My Valerie Project- Painting 1 (Babička)

I recently decided to do a series of paintings based on the Czech surreal horror film, Valerie and Her Week of Wonders. Valerie and Her Week of Wonders is a trippy coming of age story that features magical earrings, vampires, horny priests, witchcraft, the walking dead and people with multiple identities. A classic of Czech New Wave cinema, it's equal parts baroque fairytale and gothic horror. Past merges with present and people switch identities throughout the film, so the plot can be hard to follow. After viewing the film several times, I found it's best to take Valerie as a series of allegorical images and forget about trying to make sense out of it.

Anyway, I like the film enough, but this "Valerie Project" of mine is a very recent idea that came to me suddenly and interrupted other ideas for paintings I've had on my mind. Last month at an art supply store I saw four oval canvases. I've never painted on an oval canvas before, but when I saw these oval canvases I knew what I would paint on them. "Babička" was my initial idea. And after her I knew I had to do other characters from Valerie on the other three. Maybe the vidcap below with the oval portrait on the wall behind Valerie's ghastly granny explains how the idea for my oval portrait series came to me subliminally.




And here's Valerie's granny:




"Babička", 2013

20" x 24", oil on canvas


And a detail:



No comments:

Post a Comment