Friday, October 5, 2012

I'm in Print!

I received a package from Mexico the other day. Inside was a beautiful hardcover book titled "Las pitayas en las artes plasticas, la historia y la literatura" or "Pitayas in the visual arts, history and literature".




The book was published by Universidad Autónoma Chapingo (Chapingo Autonomous University), an agricultural college in Texcoco, Mexico. The author is Adolfo Rodriguez Canto, a professor at the university and apparently one of the world's experts on pitayas. Pitayas are the fruit of several species of cacti, but the pitayas most people are familiar with is the dragonfruit, the sweet pitayas from the vine-like, epiphytic Hylocereus species.




It blooms at night...




And produces the dragonfruit...




Here is video touting the benefits of the pitaya...




Anyway, I can't read Spanish, but "Las pitayas en las artes plasticas, la historia y la literatura" has great photos of cacti and features some great artwork featuring pitayas. There are paintings from great artists such as Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera and great contemporary painters,who feature pitayas in their art. I especially love the paintings by Victor Caduro Rojos, whose art is on the cover of the book. And filling up the entire space on page number 45 is my painting of Leon Trotsky in his cactus garden in Coyacan, Mexico.




I also have a bio near the back of the book.




I'm in print! Things are going to start happening to me now!


1 comment:

  1. Awesome! It looks like a gorgeous book and your paintings are amazing!

    ReplyDelete