Friday, January 27, 2012

Chewy Van Gogh No. 3



"Chewy Van Gogh No. 3", 2012

20" x 24", oil on canvas


It's another Chewbacca portrait painted once again against some of Van Gogh's wallpaper. And again this background is from one of Vincent's portraits of his favorite mailman, Joseph Roulin. This time I painted the background first. It seemed to go smoother that way. After all, even though I am painting Chewy a little more expressionistically than I am used to painting these days, it's only the background that I'm copying from Van Gogh's portrait of Joseph Roulin. Therfore I get the tediousness of copying from another painting out of the way first. Below is a photo of moi in front of the mostly completed background.




And here is the portrait of Roulin I used:




I thought I had given up on this series. I wonder how many more of these Chewy portraits I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment