Friday, September 9, 2011

The Blob From Brno

I just found out that Czech architect Jan Kaplicky's radical blob design for the Czech National Library in Prague will finally be built after all. But it won't be a library. It will be a bus stop. I wrote about Kaplicky's struggle to get his design built a couple years ago on this blog, so I was very interested when I heard that his blob design was finally going to see the light of day.


Apparently Pepsi sponsored some kind of design competition for public art in the Czech Republic, and the winner adapted Kaplicky's controversial design for a new national library into a simple bus stop. Petty bureaucrats in Prague may not have liked the design for the library, but it's alright with Pepsi. The Blob is the "choice of a new generation"!


The bus stop blob is supposed to be completed by the end of the month, and what makes it so interesting for me is that the new bus stop will be in an area I am personally very familiar with. The Blob will be among the blocks of apartment buildings in the Lesna suburb of Brno. I lived on Sramkova in Lesna for six months back in the winter and spring of 2005, and my wife still keeps her apartment there.


Below are pictures of the proposed Czech National Library, and the proposed new bus stop in Brno's Lesna estate:










And here is a map of Lesna with my wife Jasa's place marked, the walking route I always took to go buy groceries at Billa and the new home for the Blob:




No comments:

Post a Comment