Friday, June 24, 2011

My Kiss Army

Well, I finished another Kiss portrait earlier this week to round out my quad of portraits based on the four members of the hard rock slash glam band. Behold, my "Kiss Army"...




I tried to be as faithful as possible to the way that Paul, Gene, Ace and Peter were portrayed on their respective solo LPs. This was supposed to be me and a few of my friends in ironic portraits, but as time went by, it was proving hard to pin down anyone I knew to be the final member, drummer Peter Criss. So representing Criss' solo album we have uh, Ben Matlock, Andy Griffith's character from the long running legal drama, Matlock. I don't know. Sometimes I get an idea in my head, and well, this time I saw it through. Right after I finished with the "Matlock" painting, Peter Falk died, so I guess maybe I should have done "Columbo". Besides, Columbo is more widely known than Matlock, and where do you hang a painting of TV's Ben Matlock? Well in a "Matlock" apartment, I guess.




Anyway, I'm not really huge Matlock fan, and I'm certainly not a Kiss fan, although I love their whole concept. It's Kiss people not Insane Clown Posse! There would be no ICP without Kiss. I keep hearing younger folks referring to the above portraits as a take off on ICP, as if me and my friends (and Matlock as well, I guess) are rabid Juggalos (What is the deal with Faygo btw?).


As I was saying, I was never a Kiss fan. The main thing I'll always remember about the band is the 1978 made for television movie, "Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park", an absurd movie where the four band members have to use their "special powers" to save a small California amusement park from destruction by an evil inventor. I distinctly remember a baby sitter I had at the time telling my parents that my siblings and I shouldn't be allowed to watch the Saturday Night Movie, because she said that "Kiss" stood for "Knights in Satan's Service" or some such nonsense. The only thing the "satanic" movie did was bore the shit out of everyone and make the band look like outlandish clowns.


No comments:

Post a Comment