Monday, November 22, 2010

New Painting- Day 7


I had a lot of distractions over the weekend, and after not seeing this painting for almost three whole days, I'm struggling with a new perspective, literally. I realized the perspective for the arcade or row of arches is way wrong, so I had to finally define a vanishing point and will have to redo the background quite a bit. The "correct" way makes the arcade seem shorter and my column way tall. Honestly, I don't really like this version with its correct one point perspective any better than the original eyeballed version where the real horizon line would have had to be much higher. I should have planned this out from the get go, but I'm used to just eyeballing everything on the fly without sketches and it working out. Instead I had to spend most of this painting session drawing pencil lines with different vanishing points, trying to figure out which made the arcade look best.

When I started this painting I mentioned that the background idea was inspired by De Chirico's metaphysical series. He certainly never worried about correct perspective in his architectural representations. He always had multiple vanishing points, which had the effect of disorienting the viewer, and of course this was what he wanted. But with only one architectural element in the background of my painting from which to gauge perspective, it just looks like I made a mistake if I get it wrong. There were usually many buildings in De Chirico's paintings from which to gauge perspective. In the painting below, "Gare Montparnasse (The Melancholy of Departure)", there are, count 'em, six vanishing points. There are also his ubiquitous bunch of bananas and train on the horizon.


No comments:

Post a Comment