Thursday, November 18, 2010

New Painting- Day 6



Not that much progress today. Worked on the shell and flowers mostly and started to add what will be crumbling buildings on the horizon. These ruins will be similar to ones I placed on the horizon in another post-apocalyptic painting I did a couple years ago, "Girl in Landscape".




I don't know if I'm going to also include the military helicopter seen here on the horizon just above the ruined buildings in my latest painting. I'll have to think about it. I'm considering putting one living thing in it (even the yellow roses are dead and dried) to make it more poignant, but I will have to wait til it progresses more before I make that decision. Meanwhile, as I said, the painting directly above also has a post-apocalyptic theme. The piece was named after and inspired by a science fiction novel by Jonathan Lethem.


"Girl in Landscape" is set in the near future when a young girl and her family must leave an uninhabitable earth for a new planet. In the story Pella Marsh must adjust not only to a strange new world, but also to the changes in herself, as she goes through puberty on the ocean-less planet with its weird inhabitants. I never read the book. I got all this from the description on the back. So the painting was actually only inspired by a blurb, but I still think the image I made somehow fits the idea of the novel. The assembled still-life in the foreground can be taken as objects salvaged from the desolate background, and the Barbie doll can represent both a girl's toy and the girl herself lost in the bleak surroundings. Anyway, I didn't read "Girl in Landscape", but I have read three of Lethem's other novels: Gun, with Occasional Music, As She Climbed Across the Table, and Motherless Brooklyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment